Saturday, January 12, 2013

The One With The Yums

I got my new lappy working fairly well, and have named her Delphi (those of you who know me well know that I name almost all of my gadgets), so now that I have a working and named laptop I think I'll be able to keep up on my blogging while David is gone. He leaves tomorrow bright and early and will be gone until March 2. Independence in a foreign country, here I come!

Today is our video game/veg out in front of the TV day, so I decided we'd use up as much of our Korean change as possible and go get some treats at Olive Mart. And I even remembered to get pictures of everything, since that's what most people requested. :)

 
Here's what it looks like when we wander down the little aisle in Olive Mart to pick out some candy.
 
 


The kids' favorite candy here is something we call Popper Toppers. The actual name in English is Fun Caps, and the name in Hangul reads something like "kan chyo".



They are little round cookies with chocolate inside, and little pictures on the outside. We call them Popper Toppers because the first time I had them was when I visited our friends the Guzas who were living in Seoul at the time, and they called them that presumably because they came in a cup with a little pink lid. I dunno. Seemed like a fitting name.

Next up is what Aiden chose - we actually have these in the states, even in regular grocery stores. I think over there you'll see them as Pocky Sticks, but the name here is Peppero.

 
I chose something that looks sort of like giant Coco Puffs, and it tastes like deliciousness. I'm not sure what it's called in English, but the front of the box says the brand name, which is Ghana, and then the Hangul says "pongtyoo", which sounds a lot like fondue. So we just call it Ghana Fondue.
 
I also picked this bag of sort of honey cinnamon corn chip things that we hadn't tried before. They were pretty good.
 
 
The Hangul in yellow says something like "kooksak palmol". I have no idea if that's the name.
 
Then the girls got their usual drinks, Hello Pandoli, and Aiden got a fruit juice.
 
 
And for a super special after-the-kids-go-to-bed treat, David and I got ice cream. :) Yep, totally good for 10 degree weather. But these are so good! I may have already posted a picture of these.
 
 
So that's what I have for food pictures this week. Later on this week Reagan and I will probably go out to eat at a beef & leaf, or maybe just the snack bar on Camp Walker, which has really good ramen (super common here), and I'll get some pictures of that. Aiden has mastered chopsticks, and Lillie is starting to get the hang of them.
 
Oh, the food here... so so yummy! Come over and try it, especially if you like hot and spicy stuff. :)
 
 

3 comments:

  1. When I was in Seattle with Delphian one year, I ate at a Korean restaurant. I had something that was like a stew in a sweet breaded ball shaped thing. I would love to know what it is. Have you had something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't yet, but I'm sure I will. And when I do, it's going on the blog! Right now my favorite Korean food is mandu, sort of Korean dumplings.

    ReplyDelete