Saturday, November 3, 2012

Ha! So I AM going to blog!

We have been in Daegu for 18 full days now, and I've got to say I really like it here. We are living in David's apartment but will be moving on post on Tuesday (I'll post pics when we're settled in there) so -yippee!- we get to move again.

As it turns out, Daegu is quite huge. It is the fourth largest city in South Korea with over 2.5 million people, which means I am living in a city that is roughly the size of two Montanas. I can handle it just fine as long as I am walking around in the city, but when we were standing at the top of Woobang Tower looking out over Daegu today it was a bit overwhelming.

We do walk quite a bit here, since almost everything we need is really close. There are three army posts here in Daegu - Camps Walker, Henry (David's office), and George (housing and school) - and we can walk really easily to both Henry and George. There's a little shop down the street called Olive Mart where we can get fruit and veggies as well as Korean candy and stuff, and for anything more than that we just take a cab. There's also a really good subway system, but we haven't used that as much because it runs through downtown mostly, and we don't spend a lot of time there.

The kids have handled the transition really, really well. They're amazingly adaptive. They have all learned how to say thank you in Korean, so every time we climb out of a taxi the kids wave to the driver and say, "Kamsamnida!" and the drivers always laugh really hard. The language barrier has been the only downside so far, but we're working on that. The kids all believe they can speak Korean since they've been listening to K-pop music since before we left Washington.





The pictures today are the view from the top of Woobang Tower, and a few from Reagan's birthday lunch at Hello Kitty Cafe.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you decided to blog! :) I already love it and getting to see how you guys are doing! P.S. Seeing how many buildings are in Daegu makes me hyperventilate! Ah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the picture from the Tower! The city is huge! Glad everyone is adjusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I can't wait to read more. Or at least see more awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your kids WILL be speaking korean soon, and a lot better than you and david probably!

    ReplyDelete