Thursday, August 21, 2014

Band-aids with Booby and Veggies in Ice Cream

Hi all! Summer is finally winding down here in Daegu, I think. Well, at least it hasn't been so utterly brain-meltingly hot that I want to just climb into the fridge. I hope that means we'll be up and moving around more, because doggone it I'm getting bored! Daegu is too awesome, and Korea is too pretty, for me to let myself get shut up in my apartment, but holy cats does it get hot in the summer! And heat+Heather=nomovingatallwhatsoever.

Since I've been in summer hibernation I don't have any really interesting stories to tell, but I do have a few pictures to share with you. The first one is just a band-aid, but Korea... oh, Korea...


So, Gentle Reader, any thoughts on why a bandage would have a dancing puppy with the word "booby" all over it? I'm amused and baffled. Pretty much always, actually. Because Korea also offers things like this.


This was at a Baskin Robins here in Daegu. Being a sane person, I did not try this particular flavor. David, not being held back by such things as "qualms" or "taste buds" or "reasonable thought" decided to give it a shot. He said he couldn't really taste the veggies, and it wasn't too bad. I love the man, but I don't think I can trust him about things like that.

Baskin Robins did make up for that abomination by giving us the most delicious dessert creation (not counting Gregory by Juli), Oreo Bingsu.


Bingsu is shaved ice usually topped with red bean paste and fruit. Right now milk bingsu is popular (and delicious!), but I was really craving something sweet and kind of familiar, so Oreo it was. Shaved ice, cookies 'n cream ice cream, actual crushed Oreos, and I think they must also add cream or something to the ice. I dunno. It's delicious. I hope it catches on in the states by the time we get back. Otherwise I'll be forced to attempt to recreate it myself, and that's almost certain to fail.

And here's my last food-related picture. This is ddeokbokki. It's super yummy, but also pretty spicy. My poor mouth doesn't do so well with spicy, so I need to have lots of milk on hand when I eat this. 



We started school again a few weeks ago, since my kids were literally asking for it. Evidently they get quite bored after about 6 weeks of nothing to do. So here's a picture of some of the books they're using. They're working on a few projects for science, history, and art which I will post as soon as they are complete.


And finally, to force a smile to your lips, here's a shot of Lillie when she found a Hello Kitty stamp among some school supplies a friend gave us.


Holy cow, I love my spaztastic kids. They're seriously the best.




2 comments:

  1. I love hearing all the crazy things about your life in Korea. It's always hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he likes that sorbet he might like green smoothies. Not as healthy as people pretend and way more disgusting than they admit. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete