Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanks Giving

This Thanksgiving I've been thinking specifically about how grateful I am for my family. We lost David's mother last week, and although the phone call telling us that she had passed wasn't unexpected it still somehow felt very sudden.

Mom Talbot was so loved. She had a big family, and so many friends who loved and supported her. However, she was also very human. She was a lot like me, in fact. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that we had the same birthday. She could hold a grudge just like me. Her self esteem could plummet in moments, the same as mine. She sometimes needed to be reminded that people loved and cared about her - and I'm sure she and I are not alone feeling like that. She was so much better than me in a lot of ways, too. More loving, more patient, more forgiving.

She used to make cards to send her grandkids, since she wasn't near most of them, and my munchkins LOVED seeing those envelopes in the mail. We just got her last card yesterday, and I could not help but cry as I thought, "I did not write to you enough, Mom. I didn't call you enough. I didn't tell you enough how much I loved you and how special you were to me."

If you love someone, tell them. They need to hear it, and you need the peace of knowing you've said it.

1 comment:

  1. Tears!!! I miss the cards from my grandma. I hope you save it and treasure it.

    ReplyDelete